Edward Stanhope Memorial, Horncastle, Lincolnshire

Edward Stanhope Memorial, Horncastle, Lincolnshire

Edward Stanhope MP was born in London in 1840 but became a respected benefactor to Horncastle and its people. So much so that, when he died in 1893, a memorial was erected in the Market Place, leaving residents with a permanent reminder of his generosity.

Today, the Stanhope Memorial, by E. H. Lingen Barker, still dominates the town market place, distinct with its three octagonal steps and moulded plinth. The memorial itself is fashioned from limestone ashlar, red sandstone, pink and grey streaked marble.

Educated at Harrow School and Christ Church, Oxford, where he studied law, he was elected as the conservative Member of Parliament for Mid Lincolnshire during the late 19th century. This constituency was abolished in 1885 and Stanhope became MP for the new constituency of Horncastle.

In an act of generosity, Stanhope offered the Market Place, The Wong and the Pig Market their respective revenue in tolls to the Local Board of Health for the benefit of the people of Horncastle. At a public meeting in 1892 the people passed a resolution accepting the valuable gift that had been in private hands for nearly seven centuries.


Address Stanhope Memorial
Market Place
Horncastle
Lincolnshire
LN9 5HL
Telephone -
Area More information on Horncastle