Usher Gallery, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Usher Gallery, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

The Usher Gallery was built to house the collection of James Ward Usher, using funds he bequeathed for the purpose, and was officially opened on 25 May 1927 by the then Prince of Wales.

The building, now Grade II listed, was designed by the architect, Sir Reginald Blomfield. It is stone with brick panels separated by simplified Tuscan pilasters above which is a frieze decorated with triglyphs and a roof line finished with a balustrade. The portico, central in the south fa├žade, is topped by a broken pediment and urn finials.

It stands in a small park on the hillside looking southwards across the lower town and is part of The Collection, a county museum and a series of galleries.

The Collection is open daily and entry is free. There is a cafe and toilets.


Address The Usher Gallery
1 Danes Terrace
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
LN2 1LP
Telephone 01522 550990
Area More information on Lincoln