History & Heritage in Lincolnshire

Page 1 of 311 Results
Lincoln Castle, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Lincoln Castle, Lincoln

Lincoln Castle is built on the site of a Roman fort and for a while, used as a prison. Constructed in 1068, it is one of the first Norman castles built. There are several museums in the castle one of which houses one of the four surviving originals of the Magna Carta. You can presently walk ov...

Alford Manor House, Alford, Lincolnshire

Alford Manor House, Alford

Built to a traditional H plan in 1611 by John Hopkinson, it's unusual in its construction for the period as it was encased in brick which was tied into the structure. Reputedly the largest thatched manor house in the country with major restoration work being carried out in 2003-2006 to the cost o...

High Bridge, Spalding, Lincolnshire

High Bridge, Spalding

Crossing between Bridge Street and Church Gate and rebuilt in 1838, it's one of Spalding's seven bridges spanning the River Welland.

St Mary's Church, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire

St Mary's Church, Pinchbeck

Pinchbeck is a village and civil parish in the South Holland district of the county. It is situated 2 miles (3.2 km) north from the centre of Spalding. The most impressive Anglican church is dedicated to Saint Mary. It was built during the 11th century and features a wide nave with mid 12th centu...

Market Cross, Grantham, Lincolnshire

Market Cross, Grantham

A cross has stood in this location since 1300. Demolished twice, in 1779 and 1884, and restored each time through public pressure.

Lincoln Moorlands Railway FC, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Lincoln Moorlands Railway FC, Lincoln

Lincoln Moorlands Railway FC is a non-league football club sharing the historic city of Lincoln with Lincoln United and Lincoln City. The stadium is compact and family friendly with three small stands, two of which have seating and one of which is wheelchair friendly. There is plenty of open-air...

Sleaford Railway Station, Sleaford, Lincolnshire

Sleaford Railway Station, Sleaford

Sleaford railway station is ideally located for the high street (less than a minute's walk) and other places of interest in the town. The station is owned by Network Rail and managed by East Midlands Trains. It is the last remaining market town in the county to be served by both north-south an...

Lade Bank Pumping Station, Old Leake, Lincolnshire

Lade Bank Pumping Station, Old Leake

A Grade II listed building, the pumping station at Lade Bank was built in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1938 alongside the earlier building. New oil engines were installed in 1940. The purpose of the station was to counteract the effects of the shrinking of the peat in the East Fen wit...

Orme Almshouses, Louth, Lincolnshire

Orme Almshouses, Louth

It was in 1885 that James Fowler built the Orme's almshouses on Eastgate. The buildings are Jacobean in style with ornamental gardens and are set back from the street. Revd Frederick Orme housed ten poor men there and today, through charity, this work has continued. Please note the properti...

Langrick Bridge, Langrick, Lincolnshire

Langrick Bridge, Langrick

The single lane steel bridge in Langrick spans the river Witham and offers wonderful views of the surrounding land and moored narrowboats. Langrick itself is a small village in the East Lindsey district of the county and is 5 miles (8 km) north-west from Boston. The village lies in the Fe...

Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway, Skegness, Lincolnshire

Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway, Skegness

The LCLR has been described as the first heritage railway to be built on a greenfield site by enthusiasts in the UK. It was originally at Humberston near Cleethorpes in the north east of the county and in July 2019 celebrates its first decade. Please visit the website for further information a...

Exchequer Gate, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Exchequer Gate, Lincoln

Exchequer Gate is three splendid arched walkways located at the cathedral end of Castle Hill The gate was constructed during the 14th century and it is here that local tennats came to pay rent to the church. Above the arches are two further floors of rooms, which were at one time rented dwelli...

Wrawby Postmill, Wrawby, Lincolnshire

Wrawby Postmill, Wrawby

Wrawby Postmill is a late 18th century windmill near Brigg, built to serve the Elsham Hall estate. Originally, it bore four common sails, but through most of its working life had the popular combination of power with flexibility from two common and two spring sails. It became disused and derelict...

Wainfleet Railway Station, Wainfleet All Saints, Lincolnshire

Wainfleet Railway Station, Wainfleet All Saints

Wainfleet railway station has its own signal box at the east end of the platforms. The station is 5 miles (8 km) west of Skegness on the Skegness - Grantham - Nottingham line. Owned by Network Rail and managed by East Midlands Trains the station is unstaffed and offers limited facilities. I...

South Kyme Tower, South Kyme, Lincolnshire

South Kyme Tower, South Kyme

South Kyme is a small village and civil parish in the North Kesteven district of the county. On a site to the west of the village stands the Grade I listed Kyme Tower. This was a medieval castle which is believed to have been built during the late 14th century by Gilbert de Umfraville, third Earl...