History & Heritage in Lincolnshire

Page 1 of 310 Results
Lincoln Castle, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Lincoln Castle, Lincoln

Lincoln Castle is built on the site of a Roman fort and for a while, used as a prison. Constructed in 1068, it is one of the first Norman castles built. There are several museums in the castle one of which houses one of the four surviving originals of the Magna Carta. You can presently walk ov...

South Kyme Tower, South Kyme, Lincolnshire

South Kyme Tower, South Kyme

South Kyme is a small village and civil parish in the North Kesteven district of the county. On a site to the west of the village stands the Grade I listed Kyme Tower. This was a medieval castle which is believed to have been built during the late 14th century by Gilbert de Umfraville, third Earl...

Scunthorpe United FC, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire

Scunthorpe United FC, Scunthorpe

Scunthorpe United football club is located in the bustling town of Scunthopre, in the north of the county. The club was formed in 1899 and turned professional in 1912. The team is nicknamed The Iron and wears a home strip of claret and blue. The stadium, Glanford Park, has a capacity of 9,088 and...

Havenhouse Railway Station, Croft, Lincolnshire

Havenhouse Railway Station, Croft

Havenhouse railway station is situated 3 miles (5 km) south-west of Skegness. The station was originally called Croft Bank. There was formerly a Seacroft railway station between Havenhouse and Skegness, but it is now closed. Owned by Network Rail and managed by East Midlands Trains it is unsta...

Gainsthorpe Medieval Village, Hibaldstow, Lincolnshire

Gainsthorpe Medieval Village, Hibaldstow

One of the best-preserved examples in England of a medieval village. Clearly visible as a complex of grassy humps and bumps. According to legend demolished as a den of thieves, the real reason for its abandonment remains uncertain. The area/site is managed by English Heritage.

Fosdyke Bridge, Fosdyke, Lincolnshire

Fosdyke Bridge, Fosdyke

Spanning the river Welland, a wooden bridge was first built in 1815 to carry traffic from Boston to Kings Lynn. In the early years of the 20th century, this was scrapped and replaced by a metal swing bridge. Today, it carries the almost non-stop traffic of the A17. Fosdyke is a village and one...

Moorland Park Methodist Church, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Moorland Park Methodist Church, Lincoln

  The church has stood for years and there is a lovely and friendly atmosphere. There is a long history to the place and this can be researched on the official website.

Orme Almshouses, Louth, Lincolnshire

Orme Almshouses, Louth

It was in 1885 that James Fowler built the Orme's almshouses on Eastgate. The buildings are Jacobean in style with ornamental gardens and are set back from the street. Revd Frederick Orme housed ten poor men there and today, through charity, this work has continued. Please note the properti...

St Andrew's Church, Boothby Pagnell, Lincolnshire

St Andrew's Church, Boothby Pagnell

Within the historical village of Boothby Pagnell stands St Andrews Church, a Grade II listed building that retains a Norman tower, font and nave. The village is a civil parish in the South Kesteven district of the county, situated on the B1176, south of Grantham. A small community with an 11th ce...

St Edith's Church, Grimoldby, Lincolnshire

St Edith's Church, Grimoldby

A Grade I listed building, St Edith's Church has been a place of worship for over 700 years. Classes from Grimoldby School visit on a regular basis and there are social events, including concerts, suppers and drop-ins, held throughout the year. Holy Communion is every fourth Sunday at 11:15 a....

Carre's Hospital, Sleaford, Lincolnshire

Carre's Hospital, Sleaford

Quite often, the first time a visitor to Sleaford will spot Carre's Hospital will be from sitting at the traffic lights and wondering what that splendid looking building is. Situated on the corner of Eastgate and Carre Street, opposite the wonderful St Deny's Church, it was fo...

All Saints Parish Church, Ruskington, Lincolnshire

All Saints Parish Church, Ruskington

Ruskington is a large village and civil parish in the North Kesteven district of the county, located on the north-south B1188 road and slightly north of the A153 road. All Saints Parish Church has been in existence since the 11th century. The Norman stone building replaced an earlier Anglo Saxon...

The Bede Houses, Louth, Lincolnshire

The Bede Houses, Louth

On the corner of Schoolhouse Lane and Gospelgate in the market town of Louth are some Bede Houses.   The gardens are very attractive and they have won awards in the "Louth in Bloom" contest. It should be noted that these former Almshouses are now private residence and should be treat...

RAF College Cranwell, Cranwell, Lincolnshire

RAF College Cranwell, Cranwell

RAF College Cranwell is a thriving RAF Station in the heart of the county with a long and distinguished history dating back to its foundations as a Royal Navy Training Establishment in 1916. It was the world’s first Air Academy and today it continues to select and train the next generation of o...

Nocton Hall Ruins, Nocton, Lincolnshire

Nocton Hall Ruins, Nocton

Nocton Hall is a Grade II listed building in the village of Nocton and sits behind safety barriers. The plaque on the north face of the Hall indicates that the original building dates back to about 1530 but since then there have been two notable reconstructions. Several prominent people have b...