History & Heritage in Lincolnshire

Page 10 of 311 Results
St Matthews Church, Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire

St Matthews Church, Sutton Bridge

This picturesque Anglican Church is dedicated to Saint Matthew and is the only flintstone church in Lincolnshire. It was consecrated on 29th August, 1843. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1843 and included the civil parish of Central Wingland, across the River Nene. The village and parish...

Doddington Hall & Gardens, Doddington, Lincolnshire

Doddington Hall & Gardens, Doddington

Currents events now updated for 2017! The Hall Begun in 1595 by Robert Smythson, one of England’s foremost Elizabethan Architects, Doddington Hall was completed in 1600 and has never been sold or cleared out since. Doddington is still a lived-in and much loved family home, alive with history...

Scawby Hall And Gardens, Scawby, Lincolnshire

Scawby Hall And Gardens, Scawby

Scawby Hall is a Jacobean manor house and was begun by Richard Nelthorpe of Glandford Brigg (1569—1640) in 1605 and has been lived in by members of the Nelthorpe family ever since. The stunning building is Grade I listed and contains a number of important paintings including five by George Stub...

St Margaret of Scotland Church, Langrick, Lincolnshire

St Margaret of Scotland Church, Langrick

Saint Margaret of Scotland Church was built during the early part of the 19th century. It was not dedicated until 1922 and is a Grade II listed building. It was restored and altered in the late 19th century and twice during the 20th century. The registers of births and deaths date from 1831 an...

St Peter & St Paul Church, Caistor, Lincolnshire

St Peter & St Paul Church, Caistor

A fine Grade I building set in beautiful and peaceful grounds. The Church is open daily for private prayer and reflection. Often members of the congregation will be there to greet visitors. Caistor is a town and civil parish situated in the West Lindsey district of the county. As its name impl...

Winterton Rangers FC, Winterton, Lincolnshire

Winterton Rangers FC, Winterton

Winterton Rangers FC play in the Northern Counties East Football League Division One. The club was established in 1934. They were originally an intermediate side before becoming members of the Scunthorpe & District League in 1935. Winterton have used just two grounds in their history. They wer...

Somerton Castle, Navenby, Lincolnshire

Somerton Castle, Navenby

Somerton Castle is located near the villages of Navenby and Boothby Graffoe. The site is on low-lying land between the Lincoln Edge and the River Trent. The castle is 13th century and was gifted to King Edward II in 1309. King John II of France was imprisoned at Somerton Castle between 1359 an...

Long Sutton Athletic FC, Long Sutton, Lincolnshire

Long Sutton Athletic FC, Long Sutton

Long Sutton Athletic FC are members of the Peterborough & District League Division One and play at the Park. The club was established in 1983 and joined Division Six of the Peterborough & District League in 1984, winning the division at the first attempt. The following season they remained unbeat...

Holbeach United FC, Holbeach, Lincolnshire

Holbeach United FC, Holbeach

Holbeach United are members of the United Counties League Premier Division and play at Carters Park. Formed in 1929 they initially played in the King's Lynn League, and then the Spalding and Boston Leagues before joining Division Two of the Peterborough & District League during the 1930s. After t...

Nettleham FC, Nettleham, Lincolnshire

Nettleham FC, Nettleham

Nettleham FC play at Mulsanne Park, Nettleham village, near Lincoln. The club was established in 1905 and are currently members of the Lincolnshire League. They were originally Nettleham United until they adopted their current name in 1989. Nettleham joined the Premier Division of the Central...

St John's Church, Washingborough, Lincolnshire

St John's Church, Washingborough

The parish church in Washingborough is dedicated to St John the Evangelist. It has a Norman tower and font. An Iron Age shield was discovered near here in 1826. It is called the Witham Shield and is now in the British Museum. The village of Washingborough, 3 miles east from Lincoln city centre...

All Saints Church, Nettleham, Lincolnshire

All Saints Church, Nettleham

Nettleham is a large village and civil parish within the West Lindsey district of the county. The parish church of All Saints dates from the Saxon period, with medieval and 19th century additions. It is welcoming with a friendly congregation. Within the church's graveyard is a headstone in mem...

Barton Town Old Boys FC, Barton-upon-Humber, Lincolnshire

Barton Town Old Boys FC, Barton-upon-Humber

Barton Town Old Boys play at the Easy Buy stadium, Marsh Lane, with a 3,000 capacity. They are members of the Northern Counties East League Premier Division. Formed in 1995 as a merger of Barton Town and Barton Old Boys the new club were placed in the Lincolnshire League. They won the league in t...

Bottesford Town FC, Bottesford, Lincolnshire

Bottesford Town FC, Bottesford

Bottesford Town FC play at Birch Park, a 1,000 capacity ground, and are members of the Northern Counties East League, Division One The club is fairly youthful having formed in 1974. After a spell in the Lincolnshire League they stepped up to the Central Midlands League in 2000, winning the Premie...

Wendover Hall, Humberston, Lincolnshire

Wendover Hall, Humberston

Wendover Hall has stood within Humberston village for more than a century. The parish council is currently seeking planning permission for a large extension which will provide a new secondary hall/room as well as new toilet facilities, storage and kitchen. The hall is available for hire for gr...