History & Heritage in Lincolnshire

Page 14 of 311 Results
St Mary's Conduit, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

St Mary's Conduit, Lincoln

In the grounds of St Mary-le-Wigford's Church, next to the High Street level crossing, is the unique St Mary's Conduit, where residents collected their drinking water from the mid 16th century up until the early 20th century.This ornate structure - a conduit head - was built using architectural frag...

Greyfriars, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Greyfriars, Lincoln

Greyfriars is the oldest Franciscan church building in England. It stands behind St Swithin's church in the downhill area of Lincoln, between Free School Lane and Broadgate.During the early 13th century Franciscan friars arrived in Lincoln and were granted land to build a friary. Work commenced c123...

The Jews House, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

The Jews House, Lincoln

The Jew's House is one of the earliest town houses in England. It lies on Steep Hill, in historic Lincoln, immediately below Jew's Court.Dating from the mid 12th century, part of the building fa├žade survives; the elaborately carved doorway, the remains of two Romanesque double-arch windows and much...

True Loaf Bakery Ltd, Kirton, Lincolnshire

True Loaf Bakery Ltd, Kirton

True Loaf Bakery Ltd are stoutly committed to organic farming and use only the finest quality Organic Grown British Wheat. Flours are totally unbleached and untreated with nothing added or removed.Grinding up to 10 different Pure Stoneground Organic Flours, sold in their delightful tea room and to c...

Mount Pleasant Windmill & Bakery, Kirton, Lincolnshire

Mount Pleasant Windmill & Bakery, Kirton

Mount Pleasant Mill is a traditional, four sail windmill north of Kirton-in-Lindsey, on the North Cliff Road, in the north of the county.It was built in the late 19th century, circa 1875, for miller Edric Lansdall. It has a slightly tapering four-storeyed tarred tower mill with onion-shaped cap and...

St Andrew's Church, Epworth, Lincolnshire

St Andrew's Church, Epworth

Epworth is a small town and civil parish in the Isle of Axholme, in the north of the county. The town lies on the A161, about halfway between Goole and Gainsborough.Its historic Church is dedicated to Saint Andrew and the old building is located on a hill overlooking the town. Deemed the home of Met...

St Peter's Church, Barton-upon-Humber, Lincolnshire

St Peter's Church, Barton-upon-Humber

St Peter's Church is the former parish church of Barton-upon-Humber in the north of the county. It is Grade I Listed and is one of the best known Anglo-Saxon buildings.The former C of E church is now run by the English Heritage and houses an exhibition exploring its history. The dating of the buildi...

Lincoln City FC, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Lincoln City FC, Lincoln

Lincoln City Football Club is a professional association football club based in Lincoln. Currently, they reside in the fifth tier of English football, the Conference.The club plays at the 10,120-capacity Sincil Bank Stadium and are nicknamed the Imps after the legend of the Lincoln Imp. They have al...

Lollipop Road Promenade Train, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire

Lollipop Road Promenade Train, Cleethorpes

Cleethorpes is a seaside resort and unparished area in the north east corner of the county, situated on the estuary of the Humber.The beachfront offers a complete day out with long stretches of sand and one notable promenade attraction is the seafront Lollipop road train, which takes you from the no...

The Humber Forts, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire

The Humber Forts, Cleethorpes

The Humber Forts are two large fortifications in the mouth of the Humber: Haile Sand Fort and Bull Sand Fort. Built in 1914 to protect the entrance to the estuary, there was accommodation for 200+ soldiers.

All Saints Church, Coleby, Lincolnshire

All Saints Church, Coleby

The early Saxon church of Coleby was replaced by Norman builders who incorporated the base into the new structure. The present All Saints Church has developed from that Norman building and its diverse architectural styles reflect the many alterations and extensions which have taken place over succee...

Ross Castle, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire

Ross Castle, Cleethorpes

Ross castle is a mock ruin and was built by Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway during the redevelopment of Pier Gardens in 1885. It was named after the then secretary of the Railway Company, Edward Ross.Due to a number of concerns over public safety, it was closed for a number of years,...

Harlaxton Manor, Harlaxton, Lincolnshire

Harlaxton Manor, Harlaxton

Built in the 1830s for Gregory Gregory, a wealthy Nottinghamshire businessman, it replaced the original Elizabethan Manor House in Harlaxton Village. Built in Ancaster stone, it is an exuberant merging of Gothic, Jacobethan and Baroque styles creating an unforgettable and dramatic impact.Few houses...

Medieval Wall Remains, Stamford, Lincolnshire

Medieval Wall Remains, Stamford

Stamford was originally a walled town and this is a surviving section. The medieval castle itself is believed to have sat within the towns walls and is beneath the bus garage.

All Saints Church, Harmston, Lincolnshire

All Saints Church, Harmston

Located in the village of Harmston, a civil parish in the North Kesteven district of the county, this pleasant and delightful Church is a marriage of historical and modern times. The origins of the building date back to the doomsday book. However, only the tower resonates with the echos of the or...