History & Heritage in Lincolnshire

Page 2 of 310 Results
Church of Saint Benedict, Haltham, Lincolnshire

Church of Saint Benedict, Haltham

Of early Norman construction, this Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Benedict. Partially restored, on two occasions, during the late 19th century, its seating was increased from 67 to 140. However, in 1977 the Diocese of Lincoln declared the church redundant. Image...

Bellmount Tower, Grantham, Lincolnshire

Bellmount Tower, Grantham

Home to brown long-eared bats and pipistrelle bats, Bellmount Tower is a Grade II listed building. Though located with Belton House grounds it is only accessible via a short walk from the car park beside the road to the east of the park. The viewing tower cannot be accessed directly from the p...

Ruskington Railway Station, Ruskington, Lincolnshire

Ruskington Railway Station, Ruskington

Ruskington railway station opened in 1882 as part of the Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint Railway between Sleaford and Lincoln Central. Closed in 1961 it was reopened in 1975 and is owned by Network Rail and managed by East Midlands Trains who provide all rail services. The station is un...

Pinchbeck United, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire

Pinchbeck United, Pinchbeck

Pinchbeck United is the longest serving club in the Peterborough and District league Premier Division. They have a Junior section from under 8 through to under 16. Due to league rulings the club are currently playing at Spalding United's ground. It is not known how long this will last.

St Helen's Church, Saxby, Lincolnshire

St Helen's Church, Saxby

St Helen's parish church is a Grade I listed building, constructed in 1775 as an ashlar-faced red-brick mortuary chapel. The chapel, later a church, had been attributed to Carr of York (who constructed the nearby Norton Place) but no evidence to prove this has been found. It has been assumed t...

Hussey Tower, Boston, Lincolnshire

Hussey Tower, Boston

Constructed during the mid 15th century, Hussey Tower was once part of a grand home, and belonged to Sir John Hussey, a member of the court of Henry VIII. Built from hand made red bricks - fashioned from clay - it stood during the age when Boston was the wealthiest port in England, second only to...

St Peter's Church, Stixwould, Lincolnshire

St Peter's Church, Stixwould

In the village of Stixwould the parish church is a Grade II listed building dedicated to Saint Peter. It was rebuilt during the early decades of the 19th century. The font dates from the 16th century and there is a 13th century grave slab. Interestingly, Alice Cranmer, the sister of Archb...

Barkston Junction Bridge, Barkston, Lincolnshire

Barkston Junction Bridge, Barkston

The bridge carries the East Coast Main Line over the Nottingham to Skegness rail line. It lies close to the former Barkston East Junction, now closed. Nearby Barkston is a village and civil parish in the South Kesteven district of the county.

West Bank Lighthouse, Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire

West Bank Lighthouse, Sutton Bridge

The East and the West Bank Lighthouses in Sutton Bridge are both Grade II listed buildings. Both are described as early 19th century structures with 20th century alterations. Both are brick built, and have been rendered and colour washed. They each consist of a single central red brick stack o...

Coningsby Railway Bridge, Coningsby, Lincolnshire

Coningsby Railway Bridge, Coningsby

The Kirkstead and Little Steeping Railway, locally known as the New Line, was a railway line linking the East Lincolnshire Railway to the Lincoln to Boston railway through the fens. Open in 1913 by GNR it was built to improve access from Lancashire and Yorkshire industrial centres to the seaside...

Langrick Bridge, Langrick, Lincolnshire

Langrick Bridge, Langrick

The single lane steel bridge in Langrick spans the river Witham and offers wonderful views of the surrounding land and moored narrowboats. Langrick itself is a small village in the East Lindsey district of the county and is 5 miles (8 km) north-west from Boston. The village lies in the Fe...

Lade Bank Pumping Station, Old Leake, Lincolnshire

Lade Bank Pumping Station, Old Leake

A Grade II listed building, the pumping station at Lade Bank was built in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1938 alongside the earlier building. New oil engines were installed in 1940. The purpose of the station was to counteract the effects of the shrinking of the peat in the East Fen wit...

Horncastle Bridge, Horncastle, Lincolnshire

Horncastle Bridge, Horncastle

Behind Horncastle's quaint high street is a delightful road bridge that connects the town to a Tesco supermarket. The river is populated with chub and roach and there are always plenty of hungry ducks around. Image by Dave Hitchborne

Hykeham Town Women FC, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Hykeham Town Women FC, Lincoln

Hykeham Town Women FC are an FA Charter Standard Football Club who pride themselves on providing quality, safe and fun football in both training and matches for all their teams. Open to all ages and abilities they are always seeking new players to join from under level through to senior.

Holy Trinity Parish Church, Gedney Hill, Lincolnshire

Holy Trinity Parish Church, Gedney Hill

Gedney Hill is a Grade II listed Anglican parish church dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It dates from the late 14th century and was heavily restored during the 19th century including he rebuilding of its outer walls. The church features perpendicular style tie-beams and stained glass windows. I...