History & Heritage in Lincolnshire

Page 5 of 300 Results
Cleatham Hall, Manton, Lincolnshire

Cleatham Hall, Manton

In the Buildings of England by Pevsner, Cleatham Hall is mentioned as originally being a plain Georgian box. It was rebuilt in 1855 in the Palladian style by Mr Maw including a geometrical cantilevered stone staircase with cast iron balusters. The garden is also mentioned being of rich in Victori...

The Jolly Fisherman, Skegness, Lincolnshire

The Jolly Fisherman, Skegness

John Hassall drew the original Jolly Fisherman Poster in 1908 having visited Skegness only once. The poster was commissioned by the Great Northern Railway to encourage visitors to use them for their seaside breaks. The slogan "Skegness is so bracing" formed part of the poster and is as famous as Jol...

St John The Baptist Church, Buckminster, Lincolnshire

St John The Baptist Church, Buckminster

St John the Baptist church was mostly built between 1250 and 1350, of limestone. Unusually, the tower and broach spire are above the eastern end of the south aisle. The exterior of the church is richly decorated with carvings, which include faces on the pinnacles and a carved frieze. Inside ar...

Thornton Abbey & Gatehouse, Ulceby, Lincolnshire

Thornton Abbey & Gatehouse, Ulceby

The enormous and ornate fortified gatehouse of Thornton Abbey is the largest of all English monastic gatehouses. It was founded as a priory in 1139 by William le Gros, the Earl of Yorkshire, and raised to the status of Abbey in 1148.

Pinchbeck Bapist Church, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire

Pinchbeck Bapist Church, Pinchbeck

You're warmly welcome to join us at the Baptist church in Pinchbeck, South Lincolnshire. We meet for worship on Sunday mornings at 10:30am. On the last Sunday of each month come early for Cafe Church informal worship with doughnuts and coffee (look out for...

Newport Arch, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Newport Arch, Lincoln

Reputedly the oldest arch in England with traffic flowing through it, Newport Arch is the name given to the remains of a 3rd-century Roman gate in the historic city of Lincoln.In the 4th century Roman occupied Lincoln, known then as Lindum Colonia, became capital of the province Flavia Caesariensis...

Pinchbeck United, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire

Pinchbeck United, Pinchbeck

Pinchbeck United is the longest serving club in the Peterborough and District league Premier Division. They have a Junior section from under 8 through to under 16. Due to league rulings the club are currently playing at Spalding United's ground. It is not known how long this will last.

St Peter's Church, Lenton, Lincolnshire

St Peter's Church, Lenton

St. Peter's is one of 10 churches and one chapel in the North Beltisloe group of parishes in South Lincolnshire within the Diocese of Lincoln. The site of the Church is less than a mile from the Roman Road called King Street and a small Roman statue that was discovered in nearby Keisby was for so...

Red Lion Square, Stamford, Lincolnshire

Red Lion Square, Stamford

Stamford's ancient market place and pretty much the centre of Stamford. The building running along the south side of the square is thought to be a late medieval wool hall.

The Hospital of William Browne, Stamford, Lincolnshire

The Hospital of William Browne, Stamford

Founded by William Browne in 1475, it looks like a church though is in fact a medieval almshouse used to accommodate the elderly.Be respectful if visiting as the almshouses are occupied.

Fydell House, Boston, Lincolnshire

Fydell House, Boston

Fydell House, set in the heart of the cultural quarter, in Boston, is regarded as one of the grandest houses in town.Situated next to the Guildhall and the Sam Newson music centre, it is maintained by a blend of professionals and volunteers, organising a variety of activities from this picturesque a...

Church of Saint Mary, Cowbit, Lincolnshire

Church of Saint Mary, Cowbit

Cowbit Anglican parish church is a Grade I listed building dedicated to Saint Mary. It was built on a small scale in the 14th century by Prior de Moulton of Spalding. A chancel and Perpendicular tower were added by Bishop Russell of Lincoln in 1487. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1842, and reb...

Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire

Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway, Cleethorpes

Join us at the No.1 Tourist Attraction in North East Lincolnshire as rated by visitors on TripAdvisor, as we celebrate our 70th anniversary in 2018! The award-winning Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway has been delighting old and young alike for generations. Sit back and enjoy a 4 mile return journe...

St Andrew's Church, Burton Upon Stather, Lincolnshire

St Andrew's Church, Burton Upon Stather

St Andrew's is a Grade I listed Anglican parish church, initially built in 1160. A tower was added during the early part of the 13th century and the building was restored and altered in 1865 and again in 1889. Its remaining features are Perpendicular. There are monuments within the church...

St Paul's Church, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire

St Paul's Church, Gainsborough

St Paul's Parish Church, Morton, Gainsborough, is a Grade II listed building, constructed during the 19th century. The building was enlarged in 1891 and retained only the tower of the original church. It features magnificent stained glass windows by the famous author and artist William Morris...