History & Heritage in Lincolnshire

Page 7 of 300 Results
St Helen's Church, Leverton, Lincolnshire

St Helen's Church, Leverton

Leverton is a village and civil parish, situated between the seaside resort of Skegness and the market town of Boston in the south of the county.The Anglican Church of St Helens is a Grade I listed building and was built in the mid 16th century. It was restored in the late 19th century by James Fowl...

St Mary's Church, Hundleby, Lincolnshire

St Mary's Church, Hundleby

St. Mary's Church, Hundleby, is part of the Spilsby Group of parishes which consists of eight churches, with the vicar resident at the vicarage in Spilsby. A church was recorded as having stood on the site since 1086 but St. Mary's was built in the mid 19th century. There is a...

All Saint's Church, Greetwell, Lincolnshire

All Saint's Church, Greetwell

The parish church in Greetwell is a Grade II listed, 11th century limestone building.  Both the west tower and the font date from the 13th century. The church underwent restoration during the 1800s. There are two ashlar monuments to Richard Lely, who passed in 1734 and Anna Lely...

Blackstones FC, Stamford, Lincolnshire

Blackstones FC, Stamford

Blackstones Football Club is based in Stamford off Lincoln Road. Currently members of the United Counties League Division One they play in Lincoln green (Lister Blackstone had Brunswick Green engines) and black shirts with black shorts. Formed as the works team of Blackstone & Co, the club won...

Humber Bridge, Barton-upon-Humber, Lincolnshire

Humber Bridge, Barton-upon-Humber

One of the longest single-span suspension bridges in the world bridging the Humber Estuary from Barton-upon-Humber to Hessle

All Saints Church, Croft, Lincolnshire

All Saints Church, Croft

The porch and western tower carry 6 bells. The tower was restored in 1857 and there is also some 17th and 19th century restoration work.

South Kyme Tower, South Kyme, Lincolnshire

South Kyme Tower, South Kyme

South Kyme is a small village and civil parish in the North Kesteven district of the county. On a site to the west of the village stands the Grade I listed Kyme Tower. This was a medieval castle which is believed to have been built during the late 14th century by Gilbert de Umfraville, third Earl...

Louth Town FC, Louth, Lincolnshire

Louth Town FC, Louth

Known as the White Wolves, Louth Town play in the Lincolnshire League, whilst their reserve and academy teams play in the East Lincs Combination League. Established in 2007, following the demise of Louth United, they played in the Central Midlands League until promotion in 2010 to the Northern Co...

Grantham House, Grantham, Lincolnshire

Grantham House, Grantham

Originally a country residence but over time it was gradually surrounded by the growing town of Grantham. Dating from 1380 and reportedly subject to a number of hauntings, most of the building seen today dates from the 16th - 18th centuries.Both Princess Margaret, the daughter of Henry VII and Cardi...

Harrowby United FC, Grantham, Lincolnshire

Harrowby United FC, Grantham

Harrowby United were established in 1949 and are known as the Arrows. In 2009 they changed to Grantham Rangers but have since reformed under their original name. They play in the United Counties League Premier Division at the Environcom Stadium, Grantham. In the late 1960s, Harrowby moved from...

Carre's Hospital, Sleaford, Lincolnshire

Carre's Hospital, Sleaford

Quite often, the first time a visitor to Sleaford will spot Carre's Hospital will be from sitting at the traffic lights and wondering what that splendid looking building is. Situated on the corner of Eastgate and Carre Street, opposite the wonderful St Deny's Church, it was fo...

Holy Trinity Church, Boston, Lincolnshire

Holy Trinity Church, Boston

This Anglican parish church dates back to c1848.

Lade Bank Pumping Station, Old Leake, Lincolnshire

Lade Bank Pumping Station, Old Leake

A Grade II listed building, the pumping station at Lade Bank was built in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1938 alongside the earlier building. New oil engines were installed in 1940. The purpose of the station was to counteract the effects of the shrinking of the peat in the East Fen wit...

St Andrew's Church, Haconby, Lincolnshire

St Andrew's Church, Haconby

The gothic-style church stands in the village of Haconby, in the district of South Kesteven on the western edge of the Fens. It features nave arcades and a tower dating from the 13th century. The priest's doorway may be of the 12th century though this is not established. The Domesday...

North Scarle Miniature Railway, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

North Scarle Miniature Railway, Lincoln

The North Scarle miniature railway is the home of the Lincoln and District Model Engineering Society and is a five and seven and a quarter inch dual gauge ground level track.There are raised steaming bays for small locomotives and ground level bays for larger ones, a turntable and a hydraulic lift f...