History & Heritage in Lincolnshire

Page 8 of 311 Results
St Martin's Church, Owston Ferry, Lincolnshire

St Martin's Church, Owston Ferry

The earliest reference to a church in Owston Ferry is circa 1150 CE. As none of the present fabric dates before 1280, there must have been an earlier building on the site. The site itself is within the inner bailey of the "Motte and Bailey" castle which formerly stood there. A triple archway was...

Moulton Windmill, Moulton, Lincolnshire

Moulton Windmill, Moulton

The nine-storeyed Moulton Mill is the tallest windmill in the UK and stands at 100ft high to the top of the ogee cap. It was built in the early 19th century by Robert King and saw its sails removed near the end of the century after gale damage. Soon afterwards, a steam system was installed to pow...

Belton House, Grantham, Lincolnshire

Belton House, Grantham

Belton House is one of the finest examples of Carolean architecture in the UK and was the setting for "Rosings Park" in the BBC's 1995 television version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.set in its own extensive deer park with delightful gardens, luxuriantly planted orangery and lakeside walks....

Ellis Windmill, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Ellis Windmill, Lincoln

Ellis' Mill is an excellent surviving example of a small tower mill and dates from 1798. There has been a mill on this site from at least the middle of the 17th century.You'll find it located on Mill Road behind the Museum of Lincolnshire Life and it's one of nine that once stood on the steep slopes...

All Saint's Church, Eagle, Lincolnshire

All Saint's Church, Eagle

The church in the lovely village of Eagle dates from the 13th century and is a Grade II listed attraction. It was rebuilt duirng the 18th century and again in the early part of the 19th century. The village is 7 miles from Lincoln with a population of less than one thousand. There are some ame...

Epworth Old Rectory, Epworth, Lincolnshire

Epworth Old Rectory, Epworth

Transport back to life in the early 18th century with a visit to this impressive Grade I listed building.Built at the beginning of the 18th century, in Queen Anne style, this was the home of Samuel Wesley, rector of Epworth, his wife Susanna and their sons, John, a preacher and writer, and Charles,...

Grimsby Borough FC, Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Grimsby Borough FC, Grimsby

Grimsby Borough FC, based in Bradley, are members of the Northern Counties East League (NCEL) and play in Division One. The club was established on 21 July 2003 by a group meeting at the Lord Tennyson pub in Louth and joined the Lincolnshire League for the start of the 2003–04 season, earning p...

St Wulfram's Church, Grantham, Lincolnshire

St Wulfram's Church, Grantham

The church is built of Lincolnshire limestone and seats some 700 people. Constructed in the early 1300s and at 282 ft, the spire is one of the highest in the country on a parish church. It is also one of the largest medieval churches in the country.

Keadby Bridge, Althorpe, Lincolnshire

Keadby Bridge, Althorpe

Keadby Bridge, more formally known as the King George V Bridge, crosses the River Trent near Althorpe and Keadby. The first passenger train to cross is recorded at 10:35am on 21 May 1916. There is a plaque on the Lifting Bridge regarding its opening on said date. Built during 1912 and 1916 by...

Swallowbeck Methodist Church, North Hykeham, Lincolnshire

Swallowbeck Methodist Church, North Hykeham

Swallowbeck Methodist Church is situated at the junction of Newark Road and Doddington Road. There has been a church building on the site since 1903. The present building opened in March 1953 with the new church hall opened in September 1980. The building provides comfortable, spacious and warm a...

St Michael's Church, Waddington, Lincolnshire

St Michael's Church, Waddington

St Michael's is a welcoming, active and inclusive church in the old part of Waddingon village, on top of the hill just outside Lincoln. There are a variety of events for all ages throughout the week, in addition to Sunday morning services. The 12th-century church was destroyed in a S...

St Helen's Church, Leverton, Lincolnshire

St Helen's Church, Leverton

Leverton is a village and civil parish, situated between the seaside resort of Skegness and the market town of Boston in the south of the county.The Anglican Church of St Helens is a Grade I listed building and was built in the mid 16th century. It was restored in the late 19th century by James Fowl...

St Mary's Church, Hundleby, Lincolnshire

St Mary's Church, Hundleby

St. Mary's Church, Hundleby, is part of the Spilsby Group of parishes which consists of eight churches, with the vicar resident at the vicarage in Spilsby. A church was recorded as having stood on the site since 1086 but St. Mary's was built in the mid 19th century. There is a...

All Saint's Church, Greetwell, Lincolnshire

All Saint's Church, Greetwell

The parish church in Greetwell is a Grade II listed, 11th century limestone building.  Both the west tower and the font date from the 13th century. The church underwent restoration during the 1800s. There are two ashlar monuments to Richard Lely, who passed in 1734 and Anna Lely...

Blackstones FC, Stamford, Lincolnshire

Blackstones FC, Stamford

Blackstones Football Club is based in Stamford off Lincoln Road. Currently members of the United Counties League Division One they play in Lincoln green (Lister Blackstone had Brunswick Green engines) and black shirts with black shorts. Formed as the works team of Blackstone & Co, the club won...