Abbeys, Churches & Priories in Lincolnshire

Page 8 of 129 Results
St Margaret's Church, Somersby, Lincolnshire

St Margaret's Church, Somersby

Built of green sandstone and patched with brick, this is a 15th century church which had at one time the father of Lord Alfred Tennyson (poet laureate) as its rector.

All Saints Church, Stamford, Lincolnshire

All Saints Church, Stamford

Recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, All Saints stands as one of Stamford's oldest churches.Located between All Saints' Place and Red Lion Square, it dominates the market area between the Danish borough and the Castle area.Little remains of the original structure, some 12th century masonry in the...

Holy Trinity Church, Tattershall, Lincolnshire

Holy Trinity Church, Tattershall

Tattershall is a village and civil parish in the East Lindsey district of the county. At its eastern end is the village of Coningsby.The splendid medieval Church of the Holy Trinity was completed at the onset of the 16th century, having been endowed with Collegiate status, in the previous century, b...

St James' Church, Grimsby, Lincolnshire

St James' Church, Grimsby

Dedicated to Saint James and located in the heart of Grimsby, this Anglican medieval Church was built during the early 12th century. St. James' is the only Parish Church in the country with its own Choir School and has provided choristers for the Grimsby Parish Church since the late 19th century. Ch...

St Helen's Church, East Keal, Lincolnshire

St Helen's Church, East Keal

The parish church seats approximately 250 people and is dedicated to St. Helen. It dates back to 1708 and was restored in 1854-55.

St Wilfrid's Church, Alford, Lincolnshire

St Wilfrid's Church, Alford

St. Wilfrid's Church dates back to the 14th Century. Some of the original features remain: a 14th Century screen, a fine Jacobean pulpit, traces of 16th Century glass and a 17th Century tomb in the chancel.The church was restored in the 1860s when a second north aisle, vestry and organ chamber were...

St Andrew's Church, Heckington, Lincolnshire

St Andrew's Church, Heckington

This 14th century church is one of the finest medieval parish churches in Lincolnshire. It boasts a superb Easter Sepulchre, one of the best in England.

Centenary Methodist Church, Boston, Lincolnshire

Centenary Methodist Church, Boston

Erected in 1910 following a fire destroying the previous church.

St Botolph's Church, Boston, Lincolnshire

St Botolph's Church, Boston

Church Construction started in 1309 at the east end and was completed by 1390 (excluding the tower). Building of the the tower begun between 1425-30 and was completed in circa 1510-20. The tower is approximately 272 feet high and can be seen for miles. The church is commonly referred to as "The B...

St James' Church, Spilsby, Lincolnshire

St James' Church, Spilsby

Built early 14th century in the traditional Spilsby sandstone and apart from the tower, was covered with Ancaster stone in 1879.The tower houses the six bells which date from 1744. The church contains a memorial to Spilsby’s most famous son, Sir John Franklin, the sailor and explorer.

St Helen's Church, West Keal, Lincolnshire

St Helen's Church, West Keal

The church was built of green sandstone and brick on a rise above the village in 1623. Part of the church was rebuilt in 1866 and after the church tower fell in September 1881, it was rebuilt in c1844.

St Peter & St Paul's Church, Old Bolingbroke, Lincolnshire

St Peter & St Paul's Church, Old Bolingbroke

Seating about 250 people, the church was built of traditional Spilsby sandstone c1363 by John of Gaunt and originally three times its current size. The church suffered at the hands of Oliver Cromwell and fellow parliamentarians as they laid seige at Bolingbroke Castle in 1643 and was restored and...

St Helena's Church, Willoughby, Lincolnshire

St Helena's Church, Willoughby

The construction is squared coursed greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar rubble, red brick patching, with slate and lead roofs. The main structure dates from the early 14th century.

All Saints Church, Wainfleet All Saints, Lincolnshire

All Saints Church, Wainfleet All Saints

The church is dedicated to All Saints and replaces a medieval building on a site 2 miles to the West with stone from the old building being used during its construction. The stone cross near the bell turret was found in the river and placed on the gable in 1820.

St Mary's Church, Horncastle, Lincolnshire

St Mary's Church, Horncastle

This Anglican parish church, seating approximately 700 people, is mostly built of green Spilsby sandstone. Parts of the Church date from the early 13th century.